The Ottawa/Gatineau X-Wing community has started right at the Game Release in 2012. The community grew with events like the Kessel Run, the very first regionals in 2013 and 2014, and Assault at Imdaar Alpha. The local community has since grown into multiple groups of players who play at different stores across the capital region.
However, we still have to build our own regional identity.
We strongly believe that the Prototype Toronto League did a lot to bring the Toronto players together in something recognizable to the larger scene. It is high time for us to forge our own identity and to create our own league.
Finding a name was not easy. Local players suggested many different names in our Facebook group. The name needed to could reflect our region, a National Capital Region that is actually twin city spanning two provinces.
Being in Canada, snow was an obvious theme, but the same could be said of all other Canadian cities, so we nixed that. We wanted our own identity, avoiding any existing known Star Wars names seemed necessary too.
Google quickly pointed out a long history of smuggling between the two cities. During the prohibition of 1916, smuggling alcohol from Hull to Ottawa was good business. Times haven’t changed that much, just come over to Costco in Gatineau and you’ll see a whole contingent of Ontario residents loading up carts with beer that will cost them about half of what they pay on their side of the river. Forever smugglers then!
Bytown is the former name of Ottawa. In French, By (pronounced Bi) implies duality.
A duality of provinces, towns, and language steeped in a smuggling culture, Bytown Smugglers was the obvious choice!
Bytown Smugglers League Rule
Though inspired by the PTL, the rules are not exactly the same.
- The league season is comprised of up to 8 matches to be played over 8 weeks. A minimum of 4 matches played is required to qualify for participation prizes.
- Each player can only play another player for league points once in the season.
- Exact lists and results must be reported by Monday afternoon to count for the previous week
- A TO or other sufficiently impartial player must be there for adjudications. If there is an unresolved dispute concerning an issue and there was no TO or impartial witness to decide it, then the match does not count for league points.
- All League games must be played at a Sponsor location (See list below). We recommend availing yourself of their X-wing nights to play your games
- Matches follow standard FFG dogfight tournament rules and last 75 minutes.
- If you don’t turn up at the time and place pre-arranged with your opponent, without reasonable notice for postponement, you forfeit all points. Your opponent gets full points.
- If you play an illegal list, per the rules of this tournament and FFG rules, you forfeit. Your opponent gets full points.
- Any given pilot can only be used in a single list across the season. This include generics. Get your creative juices flowing, there’s enough options out there to build 8 good lists.
- The league expects its players not to engage in ‘list switching’ to win games. It up to players to prevent this, but some recommended practices are:
- Players should plan to match against an opponent’s list that could contain anything
- Players should not reveal their lists until they are ready to play and reveal them more or less simultaneously.
- There should be no alterations to prepared lists after they are revealed.
The top 8 highest-ranked players will play off in an elimination mini-tourney to determine the final top rankings.
1. Post exact lists and results on the FB page.
1. Playing a league match earns 2 pts.
2. a win earns 2 pts.
3. Points-killed is recorded and used to settle ties, with # matches won as a second tie-breaker.